Chop saws find their forte in construction sites and heavy industrial work. They are able to cut metals, plastics and wood pieces with sheer finish. The cut is deep enough approximately up to 5 inches. Chop saws are generally used in cutting with precision or at perpendicular angles. They are usually involved when the patterns are redundant, that is each cut piece is a n identical copy of itself. If the cut would depict just a slight difference then it would hamper your entire piece of art. It is great that Chop Saws are there to save your hard work and help you make cuts with both precision and speed. Let’s enhance our knowledge about what the chop saws really do and what purpose they serve.
What is a Chop Saw?
You might have witnessed a chop saw on a construction site or if you are a craftsman who likes decorating his or her own house then this tool might catch your attention. The tool might not look that big but is powerful in terms of chopping. It is usually used in cutting in the edges in straight patterns. The cuts are clean. Although it makes straight cuts the blade used is in round shape. The blade displaces in upward and downward direction while being attached to the arm. The machine, in order to carry out any chopping operation, needs to be attached to a motor. You can make magnificent cuts if you have the knowledge of fixing in the correct blade. The chop saw uses a disc to make cuts, usually 14 inches in size, that can cut with power. These saws are generally preferred by professionals.
What is Chop Saw used for?
When you want to use a tool that has immense power to chop off metals, plastics or wood then the chop saw is the right choice. The best part of the chop saw is that it can cut the most stubborn pieces as well. For instance, a wood piece jammed with pins or a rough stone. They are more handy for the people who make an earning out of it while for people who use the saws as their hobby for beautifying the household artifacts. They are widely used in industry. You can use them to cut more than 1000 pieces every day.
Chop saws can cut different pieces in a similar pattern. They are capable of making redundant cuts. They help in making the bases of any building on a site. The cuts need to be appropriate that time. If the cut is meddled with just half a degree then too it would result in wastage of time, money and manpower. Therefore, for precise cutting the chop saw is idle for use. If the cuts needed should be identical.
What is the difference between a Chop Saw and a Miter Saw?
People often mix the two saws. Although they are different. For simplicity, you can understand that a chop saw is a subset of mitre saw, that implies that each mitre saw can carry out the function of a chop saw but every chop saw cannot function as a mitre saw. A mitre saw comes into use when you wish to make cuts with a more variety than just simple straight lines. The mitre saw helps you cut at different angular positions. The mitre saw is comparatively faster and makes cuts with sheer precision.
However, when it comes to the intensity then the chop saw is a winner. It uses the motor of a higher capacity and bigger in size as well. Their majority of work is to chop off huge pieces of metals, wood or even pipes. If you wish to cut dense materials then the chop saw would do that job but if you are willing to cut threads internally then you would probably have to go for a mitre saw. If you are inclined towards using a chop saw to cut at an angle then the highest angle you can expect is perpendicular, that is, 90 degrees. The chop saws are costlier compared to the mitre saws.
Different brands of Chop Saw
If you are building your house from scratch or if you are working on a construction site and wish to have a chop saw of your own then you should scroll through different brands and features as per your suitability. Here is a list of different chop saw brands that you check:
- Evolution Power Tools
- Metabo HPT
- MK Morse
How to use a Chop Saw?
Follow the steps to cut using a chop saw:
- Your chop saw should not have gone under wear and tear to make proper cuts that is prerequisite. The disc should be usually 14 inches to make deep cuts up to 5 inches.
- Check the current and voltage requirement for the machine. It needs around 15 amperes of current and around 120 volts to carry out the function.
- It is essential to have the knowledge about the correct blade that would serve your purpose. If the blade is thick it would help you serve the industrial purpose.
- While cutting with a chop saw, you need to be cautious and wear all your safety gears as it radiates a lot of sparks. The gears include gloves, a shield to cover your face and eyes. Do not wear loose clothes. The machine should not be placed near anything that can catch fire.
- Chop saws are mounted on a static surface with a circular blade. You need to place the piece that you wish to cut on the base. If you place the chop saw on a table it works well with stability. Place something on the surface so as to avoid destroying the floor with permanent marks.
- While cutting be sure that the door or window near is shielded as the sparks and dust fall out of the machine from the rear end and with great pace.
- There should be a slight distance between the disc packer and the surface on which the object is placed. Though keep in mind the distance should not be too much or touching the surface as then cutting would become impossible.
- The dusk generally collects after cutting, so you need to keep the cleaning in process from time to time.
- You should always have the markings ready on the piece you wish to cut.
- The material, if it is too heavy to move, then clamp it but not it should not be very tight. You can use a hammer to slightly tap it and move it on the position. You can always use a measuring tape.
Different kinds of Chop Saw
There are a variety of chop saws available in the market.
- Metal Chop Saw: This chop saw would help you chisel metal like never before. It would provide you with clean cuts. In order to cut metal, it is best to use abrasive blades. You need to figure out the right blade, place the metal piece on the surface, clamp it with a little pressure to put it right in the position. Then you can pull the handle down. Do not waste the blade by pressing it too much against the metal. But before starting any cutting, wear your safety gears. There would be sparks from the rear end so be cautious.
- Wood Chop Saw: This chop saw is easily available and is the most in demand. If you are interested in wood works then this chop saw is great for you to provide perpendicular cuts. The chop saw is great for making redundant straight cuts and that too in huge numbers. The saw works only in two motions up and down. However, you cannot cut at angles through this saw. They are very handy and you would not find them complex. You need to be well equipped with your safety tools and be cautious of where your hand is. Make sure there is a safe distance between your hand and blade.
- Abrasive Chop Saw: This is also known as grinder chop saw. If you wish to cut some other materials other than wood or metal, then you should use this chop saw. It can be used to cut tiles, marble, asphalt and other similar products. The cutting methodology of this saw is not any different from the basic chop saws. However, the blade is what entirely changes it use.
Top 3 Chops Saws in 2020
Here are one of the best chop saws for you to have a look:
Porter Cable PCE700: This Chop Saw falls into the lightweight category and is famous amongst the people who find making pieces of craft mesmerizing. The machine is small and is of a size of 14 inches. The machine is capable of cutting different varieties of wood and also at an angle of 45 degrees. However, thick metals are a challenge for the tool. The machine is affordable, it can be bought under 120 dollars. The machine works on a motor that has a power of around 15 amperes while the brushes can be replaced. You can easily switch the blades using the lock.The edges need to be smoothed with the help of a sandpaper or filer. The machine can be purchased from Amazon or eBay.
DeWalt D28730: The machine is a little costly. It is available for a price around 210 dollars. But the company offers you a 3 months money back guarantee. During this time, you can try and test the machine in all aspects. The machine weighs around 35 pounds. The cutting disc is of a standard size, that is, 14 inches and it can make cuts as deep as 5 inches. You can use the wrench that comes along with the machine to switch the blades. There is a lock present for you to make the piece stable while the cuts are to be made for better results. The machine can get acquainted with the wheel of a smaller size of 12 inches. The machine is designed in such a manner that it remains shielded. The surface is available in two colors: black or silver.
RIDGID 614: The machine has crossed the cost expectations with any other machine. It is available at around 800 dollars. The machine might not fall into everyone’s budget but its every penny is worth spending. The machine has a blade that has 80 teeths. It can be used for chopping off ferocious and non ferocious metal pieces. Not just metals, you can cut wood or plastic as well. Usually it can cut as deep as 5-⅛ inches. The best part is you do not need any lubrication for running smoothly. You can simply place the dry metal and start chopping. The motor uses 2 horsepower magnitude. There is a dual lever vise clamp present. Further, in case of any defect the company assures you a warranty that lasts lifetime.