Being the woodworker, we often come across a lot of problems. Even though we are hard-working and productive. Our Output is not very effective. There could be several reasons behind that. One of the main reasons that probably you are not using the right power tool.
Whether its table saw, miter saw or any other tool. It should align with your requirement. Today, we’ll talk about two very popular miter saws from DeWalt Company.
So, before we dive into actual comparison, let’ have a look at the history of DeWalt Company. The company made their first miter saw around 100 years back in 1922, and since then they have evolved every single year by blending their products with innovation and creativity.
Every Year, Dewalt produces hundreds of products to keep their users updated with the latest technology. They make one of the best miter saws in the world which provides effective and high precision cutting experience. With advanced features, their product stands out of the crowd, and that’s why they are so popular among the woodworks in various countries.
Recently, they have introduced FLEXVOLT® technology, which has revolutionized the miter saw industry.
Today, we will have a comparison between DWS709 and DWS780. Most of the features are same, but there are still a few differences that you have to look at.
Your choices will vary depending on whether you are a beginner or an advanced professional. Both the miter saws have pretty good build quality and weigh around 50 pounds. They come with the same 12-inch blade. There is no difference between RPM & Motor Power as well.
How to Choose A Miter Saw
In the below section, we’ll be comparing different aspects one by one. These miter saws cost hundreds of dollars, so read the article thoroughly before you make the decision. One should have the proper idea about the product that they are buying.
|Miter Saw||Dewalt Dws709||Dewalt Dws780|
|Manufacturer Warranty||3 year(s)||3 year(s)|
|Speed||3800 RPM||3800 RPM|
|Dimensions||30.8 x 22.8 x 19.5 inches.||21.5 x 17.7 x 17.1 inches|
|Weight||51 pounds||56 pounds|
|Blade Diameter||12 in.||12 in.|
|Arbor||0.625 in.||0.625 in.|
|Cutting Angle||Miter: 50° left, 60° right; Bevel: 49° left/right||Miter: 50° left, 60° right; Bevel: 49° left/right|
|Miter Cut Depth (at 45º)||6.8 in.||9.6 in.|
|Miter Cut Depth (at 90º)||9.5 in.||13.75 in.|
|Bevel Cut Depth (at 45º)||9.5 in.||13.75 in.|
|Vertical Capacity||4.5 in.||7.5 in.|
|Horizontal Capacity||8 in.||13.75 in.|
Dws709 vs. Dws780
1- Inside the Box
With both the miter saws, you get all the essential tools and accessories. You don’t have to buy anything separately. There is a different blade option that you can choose at your disposal. You can also go for the stand, but that will cost you $300-400 more. Below is the list of items that you would be getting inside the box.
- Miter Saw
- Blade Option
- Dust Bag
- Blade Wrench
- User Manual
2- Design Difference
Let’s talk about the difference in the build quality of both the models. DWS709 is slightly larger in size and also heavier in comparison to DWS780. DWS709 Weighs around 51 pounds, and its dimensions are 30.8 x 22.8 x 19.5 inches. While the DWS780 Model weighs around 56 pounds and its dimensions are 21.5 x 17.7 x 17.1 inches. There is also a difference in color while one is black and other is yellow.
Both the Saw are AC corded and works on 120V. There is not much difference in terms of build quality. Both are sturdy and durable and will last for years. They are also portable as well; you can easily carry them from one place to another. You can use these miter saws for longer duration without worrying too much about the maintenance.
3- Ease of Use & Accuracy
The comfort is also a very important factor that you must consider before making the purchase. If you are not feeling full control while using the product, it might not be the right choice for you. That’s it’s recommended to buy the power tool offline so that you can have better clarity about the ergonomics. DWS709 Model comes with a 15 Amp motor with 3800RPM. It tall sliding fence system supports crown molding up to 5.5inches (nested) and 4.5inches (vertical). You can make the bevel cuts easily at your disposal. The back fence is designed to cut 2×14 lumber at 90degree and 2×10 lumber at 45 degrees. There are 13 positive miter detents which allow you to cut at a different angle easily.
While the DWS780 Model supports 7-1/2 inches (nested) and 6-3/4 inches (vertical). In this Model also, you can easily make the bevel cuts. At 90 degree, you can cut up to 2 x 16 lumber, and at 45 degrees, you can cut up to 2 x 12 lumber. You can make the bevel stops in both the left and right direction at different angles and make the quick cuts.
Affordability is also one of the important factors that you should consider when making a purchase decision. If you are a beginner, you can’t spend thousands of dollars. There is a difference in price, but both the models are worth the investment. DeWalt DWS709 has hundreds of positive reviews, and it costs around $400 (not exact price). There are also different blades options like 80T & 96T.
While DWS780 costs around $500 (not exact price). If you go with the rolling stand, you might have to spend $200-$300 more.
The performance of the power tool is a very important factor that you have to look at. Performance is the combination of many different factors like accuracy, power, long-duration use, and more. Both models are pretty good when it comes to efficiency and precision. DWS780 comes with XPS guidance system with an LED guide system gives the edge over DWS709 Model.
The bevel adjustment is also pretty good. You can do it in both the sides at 45-degree angle. Both of them have decent dust collection system. It’s not the best in the market. You have to compromise with it.
6- Miter Saw Pros
In this section, we’ll talk about the pros of both the miter saws. You can look at the advantages and decide which one suits your requirement.
- It has a 15Amp motor which runs on 3800RPM in a no-load condition which gives you more power, and you can easily cut through different kinds of material.
- It has tall sliding fence system which increases the miter saw cutting capacity.
- There are 13 positive miter stops that you can make — 50 degree to the left and 60 degrees on the left side.
- It is compact and lightweight, and you can carry it from one place to another pretty easily.
- Its XPS system with LED guide certainly gives it an edge over DWS709 Model.
- It doesn’t require much calibration during use, and you can easily make the cuts.
- It has good build quality, and its sturdy construction makes it last for years without too much maintenance required.
- The cutting capacity is higher. Horizontal capacity is 13-7/8-inch, Vertical Capacity is 6-3/4-inch & nested crown capacity is 7-1/2-inch.
- It comes with a cam lock miter button which allows the users to lock at different angles easily. It has a total of 10 positive stops.
7- Miter Saw Cons
In this section, we’ll talk about the disadvantages of both the miter saws. Read it clearly, so that you have proper clarity about the flipside as well.
- Dust Collection System is not very good. It could have been better.
- Some users complained about blade nut getting loose after some time.
- If you are a middle-aged guy, this might seem a bit heavy for you and very convenient to carry it around.
- In the standard setup, it doesn’t cut 2 x 14. You have to make some adjustments with that. You probably have to remove the standard fence system.
- If you are a beginner, then it might be fir costly for you. The miter saw stand also costs around $300.
- The 45-degree detent can’t be adjusted. You have to make the accurate cut at 45 degrees and 90 degrees.
- It also doesn’t have the soft-start function, which could be annoying and dangerous at the same time.
We have all the important things that you should know about both the miter saws. Both the models come with three years limited warranty which gives you an idea about their sturdy build quality. You’ll see some difference in accuracy and precision. The DWS780 Model has some advanced features and costs more.
After comparing, all important aspects, we have concluded Our Recommendation (Winner Miter Saw). It is completely unbiased and based on features and user reviews.