When it comes to the use of power tool, the ease of use and weight matters a lot. Dealing with a bulky tool becomes a pain. Today in this article, we would be specifically talking about the mini circular saws. These are very lightweight, and you can easily use them with one hand for cutting metal, wood or tile.
These circular saws are suitable for smaller DIY projects. They are also great if you have small hands what i love about these mini tools that you can use them for a longer duration without feeling fatigued.
Though there are some downsides as well, they won’t be as powerful as regular size tools, and you also have to compromise with cutting depth as well. That’s why it’s essential to ask the question, for what purpose you are buying the circular saw? What kind of materials do you need to cut with this? Are you going to use it for big projects or small DIY crafts?
If the answer is the latter one, then you can smoothly go with a compact version. There are a few models in the market that gives you the performance equal to the full-size saws. The weight ranges from 5 to 8 pounds. The compact saws are ergonomically designed, and you can easily do the maneuvering. Below are some of the best small circular saw brands which make these tools at affordable price.
- Black & Decker
They are also very helpful when cutting through tight spaces. There are a lot of options available in the market to choose from. The price can vary from $50 to $300 depending on the power and quality of these saws. These tools are very handy, and you can easily do the bevel & depth adjustments and most suitable when you are making the rip-cuts and cross-cuts.
So, in this article, we would be covering all important aspects like how to use a small circular saw, things to keep in mind before buying one, features, best corded and corded mini circular saws and more. So, read the whole article thoroughly, so that you don’t miss any important point. In case if you have any confusion, you can ask us in the comments below, we’ll try to reply as soon as possible.
How to use a small circular saw
There have been a lot of people asking the questions about how to use the small circular saw that we’d discuss in this section. Though there are no big differences between the use of the small circular saw and a regular circular saw still there are a few tips and techniques that we have to keep in mind while using one.
Proper Depth Setting & Accurate Mark
Setting the depth of the blade is very important. It should be according to the project that you are working upon. In this case, you have to keep your saw blade to the side of the board keeping the guard retracted. Then, you can set the depth from one-eighth to one-fourth an inch below the board. Then tighten the blade properly at this point.
To get the perfect cut, you have to do the right measurement, use the pencil and tape to make the marks forming V. And the with the tip of the V, you can decide the right measurement. A lot of people go with a single line, but V technique is more accurate and precise.
Lighting is Imp
While doing the cut, make sure proper lighting is there. You should be able to see the cutting line. Most of the time, people take it for granted, but let me tell you that it is as important as other things. If you are working in a workshop, keep it proper lit because a slight deviation in angle can ruin the whole cut.
Safety is Must
Even though these tools are small, make sure that you don’t ignore the safety features. Make sure when you are cutting the wood properly, ensuring that there are no kickbacks while using it. Kick back mostly happens when you pinch or bow down your saw blade. In this case, you don’t need support at both the ends. Also wear the hand gloves, apron and safety glasses. These can be a lifesaver in case of emergency. Also, use a mask or helmet to cover yourself from the storm of sawdust.
Plywood Support & Avoid Binding
You should know when to support the plywood when to not. If you are making the cross-cut, then support is required. During cross-cutting, the plywood will fall away, and your saw can bind in between cut.
While it’s falling away, you don’t have the piece of wood to take tinge of wood with it. To avoid this, you don’t have to clamp or restrict it. Instead, you can use your support while cutting.
Make sure that you are comfortable while using the mini circular saw. You should know how to hold the hold it as different saw have a different ergonomic design. Make sure that you are aware of all the parts of the tool and how to use. It’s highly recommended to go through the user manual before you start cutting with it. A lot of people use their foot as a sawhorse; you can also use this technique and have an accurate and safe cutting experience. For more information, you can read the detailed article about how to use a circular saw step by step over here.
Things to keep in mind before buying a mini circular saw
There are dozens of companies in the market which are into making mini compact circular saw. Every saw has a unique design and features. Some times, it becomes quite difficult to choose one. In this section, we’ll talk about some essential aspects that you have to keep in mind before buying one.
Corded Vs. Cordless
Mins Circular Saws come in both the version. You can buy the electric one or the battery-operated one. Corded Saws are more powerful than the battery ones in general whether it’s mini circular saw or a regular size one however you have restrictions, in terms of their movement. When you are cutting a rough piece of wood, a corded one can easily cut through while a cordless one might not be that smooth.
Though the capability and power vary depending on the which model that you are buying, Cordless could be a good choice for homeowners and DIY enthusiasts while corded one is suitable for professional users.
You should check your budget before you buy one. As the price range can vary from $50 to $200. Don’t think the more the price is, the better the product is. There is a lot of garbage at a higher price and a lot of good models at a lower price. So, decide your budget first. You can get a really good quality compact around at around $150.
Maintenance & Safety
Always read the user reviews before buying one. Make sure that assembly of the machine is quite simple. If it’s a cordless saw then how easy to remove the battery, how long does it take for charging and how much battery backup you get. These saws can easily last for years without worrying too much about it. Sometimes, cleaning the saw is a pain, so make sure it’s not a cumbersome task for you.
Also make sure that what safety features, it is having. Does it have a safety trigger or not? How long is the cord that you are getting? Also, check the warranty of the product that gives you an idea about the product durability. Blade Guard is one of the important features that you can’t compromise upon. This is one of the most important safety features that you should have a look. Always buy the one which has a metal blade guard which makes it more durable.
If your saw has the good cutting capability, you can make the cuts from 0 to 45-degree angle. Make sure that it is easy to set the depths and bevel gauges. The bevel adjustments give you more precision, and you can work upon a lot of DIY projects. Ease of changing the depth adjustments allow you to finish the project quickly.
Design & Dust Port
Make sure that you are comfortable using the compact circular saw. If you are buying it offline. Hold the circular saw and check how easily, you can maneuver it. Better ergonomic design gives you better work experience, and you can use it for a longer duration without feeling exhausted. Also, there are a lot of people who have small hands, make sure you have a good grip while holding it.
Also, check how’s the dust collection system of the tool. Does it have the option of hooking up a vacuum or a dust bag? Better the dust collection system is, the lesser mess you’ll have while using it.
Top 5 small Cordless circular saw | Battery Powered
In this section, we’ll talk about the top 5 compact cordless circular saws that you can buy in 2020. We’ll cover all the major brands. So, let’s talk about each one by one.
1- Makita SH02R1 12V Max CXT Cordless Circular Saw
This is one of the best cordless circulars saw that you could buy in 2020. It has received really good reviews online. It comes with 1500RPM with very good torque and power. It has
3-3/8″ blade which provides the cutting depth of 1inch that allows you to work upon a wide range of application. At 90degree, you get cutting depth of 1inch while at 45degree, you get cutting depth of 5/8″. The bevel angle can easily be adjusted from 0degree to 45degree that gives you the freedom of making angular cuts with precision. Below are some of the important features that you should know before buying Makita SH02R1 12V Max CXT Cordless Circular Saw.
- It can cut through different kinds of material that include pegboard, plywood, MDF, Melamine, drywall, particleboard, and more.
- It comes with three years of warranty that itself gives you an idea about its durable build quality. Makita also has very good customer service as well.
- It is a complete kit, comes with two batteries and a charger. All the necessary accessories, you get with the bundle. You don’t have to buy anything separately.
- It is suitable for quick cuts and has a very good ergonomic build quality as well.
- Though it has very good torque, users are not happy with its lower RPM. It could have been improved.
2- Black & Decker 5.5-Inch
At second position comes the black and decker cordless circular saw 5.5inch model. This company is known for making some awesome products, and this is one of them. It is a 20V cordless saw and weighs around 6lbs which makes it a pretty lightweight, compact tool. Though it looks like a normal size circular saw because of its design, it is smaller and compact. According to the company, it offers a tool-free depth of cutting and also bevel adjustments for angular cuts. Below are some important features of this black and decker compact model.
- Considering its features, it comes at an affordable price, which makes it suitable for beginners.
- Though it doesn’t come with any accessory; you have to spend some extra bucks on buying some tools.
- It has a unique design and very durable build quality.
3- Makita SH01ZW 12V max Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-3/8″ Circular Saw
This again one more model by Makita Brand. It is a 12V model comes with 3-3/8″ blade, and you get cutting depth around 1inch. According to the company, you can do 70cuts of 1/2″ x 12″ per charge. It has 1400RPM, which is also good if you are working on small DIY projects. Its depth of cutting allows you a wide range of cutting, and you can work on various projects. Below are some of the important things that you should know about Cordless 3-3/8″ Circular Saw.
- You can make the bevel cuts by tilting the base from 0degree to 45degree. At 90degree, you get the 1inch cut and 45degree; you get 5/8inch cut.
- It only weighs around 3.3 lbs, which makes it very lightweight to use.
- Because of its build, you can use it for a variety of application. It is suitable for electricians, repairmen, general contractors, and cabinet installers.
- It has the ergonomic build quality, and you get a really good grip while using it.
4- Enertwist 20V Max 4-1/2″ Cordless Compact
You might not have heard about this brand, but this is the model that is worth having a look. This has a very good build quality, and you can easily maneuver at it. It only weighs around 4.5 lbs, which is half the size of the regular circular saw. It has 4.5inches blade, which makes it suitable for the majority of the DIY projects.
- What i love about it is high rpm speed. In no-load condition, it goes till 3500RPM, which is remarkable considering its small size.
It is suitable for different kinds of material, which include soft metal, wood, plastic, and drywall.
- Its dimensions are 15″ * 8″ * 3.5″ which makes it pretty compact and you can easily use it handheld.
5- WORX WX523L 20V 3-3/8″
This is the last in our top 5 cordless compact circular saw list but worth having a look at. If you are a beginner and looking for a companion for your DIY works, this could be the right choice to go for. It is 20V saw and has a good torque which allows it to cut through different kinds of material. This model is known for its precision and accuracy. Below are some of the important features that you have to take a look at.
- It comes with a laser guide, which is really helpful while doing the straight cutting.
- Though the charger doesn’t come with the product, you have to buy it separately.
- The battery that you get with the product is compatible with other Worx Products.
Top 5 Corded small circular saw
This section is devoted to corded circular saws. These saws will provide you more power in a compact size. We’ll cover all major brands, so let’s talk about each one by one.
1- Rockwell RK3441K Compact Saw
This is one of the most popular compact saw which weighs 5 pounds only. It has a 5amp motor, and the RPM is 3500, which is remarkable considering its small size. It comes with 4.5inch blade that gives you 1 11/16 inch cutting depth. It has received really good reviews online and really popular among woodworkers. It is very easy to use as it comes with the ergonomic build quality, and you can use it for a longer duration without feeling fatigued. Below are some of the important aspects that you have to keep in mind.
- It comes with all the safety features that you need in a power tool. It also has a lock-off switch which provides better safety and user experience.
- Considering all its advanced features, it comes at a very affordable rate. It is very reasonably priced, and you can buy it even though you are a beginner.
- What i really like is its precision and accuracy. You feel full control while using it.
- Though, it’s not suitable for use with tough material. The blade might bind if you are doing some heavy work.
- It is sold as a bare tool; you can also go for the complete kit option.
2- Dremel SM20-02 120-Volt Saw-Max
This is not a very popular brand but makes some really good power tool; this is one of them. This is one of the best handhelds a corded circular saw that you could easily use comfortably. It has a 6amp motor and a 3″ mini blade. According to the company, it is suitable for cutting different kinds of material that includes tile, wood, masonry, plastic, metal, and more. It comes with a worm drive gear, which gives it more power and makes it more durable at the same time. Below are some essential technical aspects of Dremel SM20 mini saw.
- There are two-wheel positions that you get with the tool which allows you to work on multiple projects. You can easily make a straight cut, plunge cut, and flush cuts.
- The line of sight is very clear in this compact power tool. You also get a cutting guide as well for better accuracy and precision.
- Some users complained about the heating problem after longer duration use that you can clarify by reading the Amazon Reviews.
3- WORX Worxsaw 4-1/2″ Compact Saw
We have already covered one Worx Model in Cordless Section, but they also have a very good model for the corded version. This is one of the most affordable compact circulars saw that you could buy. It only costs around $50-$60. It has all important safety features which include an integrated safety trigger as well. Its blade is thinner than the other power tools which give it smooth cutting. It gives you the 3500RPM in full load condition, which clearly gives you an idea about its power.
- If you are dealing with thick structures and tough material. This could be the right choice for you because of its powerful motor. Max cutting depth is 2″.
- You can also make bevel adjustments quite easily, which allows you to do a variety of cuts at your disposal.
- The saw is inclined to the left side, which makes it suitable for right-handed people but not a perfect fit for left-handed ones.
4- Rockwell RK3440K
Rockwell is a very reliable brand when it comes to the corded circular saw because of its speed and unmatched torque. You can buy this as a bare tool or a complete kit with a blade set. It is suitable for medium cuts, and you can use it for a variety of cuts. It comes with 4amp motor and capable enough cutting through different kinds of material like plastics, tile, wood, sheet metal, floor, and more. It also has a very ergonomic build, and you can work on larger projects with convenience.
- It has a very durable build. You get a very good grip with the handle which provides you the better control.
- It also has a pivoting metal guard which provides more security and keep your hand away from the blade.
- It also has a built-in laser system that allows you to do precise and accurate cuts.
- You also get a very long cord that gives you more freedom of movement. Also, it has a dust port which doesn’t make things messy while you are working on it.
5- Genesis GCS545C 5.8 Amp
This is the last model in our corded version list. Genesis is a US-based company established in 2003 produces some really good quality products. This mini model comes with 5.8amp motor that runs up to 3500RPM. According to the company, it has a triple gear reduction system, which gives more power and torque. Its blade is tipped with tungsten-carbide, which enhances the performance, and you are less likely to face the binding problem.
- You also have dust port with the power tool which keeps your dust area free from debris and dust.
- It gives you a very clear cut line, which gives you better precision and accuracy.
- The bevel and depth adjustment are very simple, and you can easily do it for different cutting options.
- Though it has a lot of plastic bodies which might wear and tear during use. Also not suitable for larger cuts according to users.
We have covered everything that you should know about corded and cordless circular saws. Every saw is unique in features; different weight, different power, price, and durability. So read the whole article thoroughly so that you have proper clarity about the products then only decide, which one you want to buy.
In case you have any questions, you can let us know in the comments below. We’ll try to respond as soon as possible.
Different Circular Saw Blades | Best Infographic
FAQs (Must Read)
How many teeth should a circular saw blade have?
The blade varies from 60 to 120. It depends on what material you are cutting. Plywood and Melamine will work with less number of teeth while for MDF, you might need a blade with higher teeth.
How do I make straight cuts with a mini saw?
You can easily do with practice. Marking is very important in this case. A laser guide would be a plus.
How do I adjust the depth of the circular saw?
Use the bevel adjustment; it will also adjust the depth of cut as well.
How do you sharpen a circular saw blade?
It depends on what kind of blade you are using. If it’s a high-end carbide-tipped blade, meet a professional. Otherwise, you can use the file for sharpening.
What is a magnesium circular saw?
A lot of people are asking this question. It is a saw which uses magnesium components which provides better durability. Makita makes magnesium circular saw, i.e., 5007MG.
Why blade vibrates during use?
If the blade is not fixed properly, it might vibrate and cause a hazard. So cross-check all the nut and bolts assembly before you start using it.
When should I replace my circular saw blade?
When it starts binding, and also tearing the substance.