Many people have woodworks or making designed materials as their hobby. They wish to make different artifacts at home. Creating designs is a good way to boost your creative skills. There are two types of cutting machines that we are going to talk about, band saw and scroll saw. Bandsaws are usually used in cutting big and thick materials. However, when there is sheer cleanliness and details needed a scroll saw is to be brought handy. Let’s have a look at these and decide which one is going to solve your purpose
Scroll Saw Review
How to use it?
- First things first. Set the blade ready.
- You should be well-equipped with the safety gadgets.
- Switch on the Scroll saw only then keep the material you would want to cut.
- Keep both the hands on the piece you are cutting in order to make it stay stable while cutting. While you can slowly drift your hands when the wood is cutting.
- Set the speed of the blade. The thickness of the material is the determining factor for the speed. More the thickness, the less the speed is the formula.
- If you are making a number of curves in your art piece, it might consume more time, however, if it is just a simple design with a few linear cuts then it would be done soon.
- Start cutting from the very first edge and then gradually move the piece into the blade cutting it. Keep holding the piece from the tip of your fingers.
- Repeat the same process after removing the wood that has been cut. Start from where you had already made a cut earlier.
- Similarly, cut all the periphery edges.
- For internal cuts, remove the blade first. Set the position of the saw and then put the blade again and then start by switching the machine on.
- After the work is done, again switch off. Remove the blade and then the machine.
- It might be slightly rough on the corners. Use sandpaper to smoothen them.
- Your piece is ready with ultimate finish.
Top 3 Scroll Saws
Wen 3921 Scroll Saw: The company at first promises its build virtue. It helps in cutting with precision as its blade moves in two directions. You can even adjust the speed as per your convenience at which the blade is moving.The table can be moved up to 45 degrees. Apart from that there is a blower to get rid of the dust created. In case you require more light to work you can make use of an LED present so as to obtain more clarity. The machine comes with a set of three blades included and a warranty of two years.
DEWALT DW788 Scroll Saw: It has a comfortable cast iron table which can tilt up to 45 degrees. There is a dual arm running parallel for precise cuts. The machine is built with a silent mechanism to reduce the sound created. You can tension the blade as per the requirement. Not just that, control of the speed of the blade is also in your hand. The design with which it is built is such that it prevents you from less or over cutting of the piece and saves your craftwork. You can easily use it to make grooves in the woodwork.
Dremel MS20-01 Scroll Saw
The incredible feature of the saw is that it is lightweight and can be stored without a hassle. You can change the blades as per need and that too effortlessly. You do not have to worry about setting the right tension for the blade, there is an auto tension feature which helps you to cut faster. The speed can be controlled by you. Also, it comes with clamps so as to fix it on a bench or table and work with better stability. It can work as a stagnant saw and an electric one too.
- Cuts in 60 seconds: 400 to 1400
- Measurement of a cut: up to 65 mm
- Item Weight: 63 lbs
- Item Measurements: 620 L x 285 W x 310 H mm
- Power Supply: 120 watts
- Table Measurements: 460 x 235 mm
- Table Inclination: up to 45 degrees
- Throat length: 460 mm (18 inches)
- Blade size (1-2): can cut 0.25 inches soft and hardwood
- Blade size (10-12): can cut 0.75 to 2 inches soft and hardwood
How to use it?
- Read the manual carefully before starting to use it.
- Decide which blade will serve your purpose.
- Then adjust the tension on the wheel.
- Set the tension on the blade, it should not be too tight or too loose.
- Take apt measurements before slicing an inch. Highlight the markings and start cutting.
- Set the bearings (left, right, behind), just a little distance from touching the blade so as to keep the blade in position.
- There is a vertical positioning guide, set it at an apt distance (0.5 to 0.75 inches) with respect to the material you are cutting. It also maintains the position of the blade.
- Place the material against the fence which is locked on the table after being set on the correct measurement.
- Use your safety equipment before you start cutting. Do not place your fingers very near to the blade.
- Use the correct amount of pressure to cut it. Do not push it too hard.
- In case you wish to cut at angles, make use of a miter gauge that comes with it.
- Once you have cut the wood into pieces, remove them and start with the next piece.
Top 3 Bandsaws
Rickon 10-305 Bandsaw: The bandsaw is tightly built and can fit in small spaces, home or workshops. You can incline the table up to 45 degrees to cut at angles. Moreover, there is a fence to seek precision. It helps you keep a check on the linearity. Then there is an outway for the dust particles collected. There comes a warranty of 5 years with the equipment for any fixing needed. The machine is durable and at an affordable amount. It is not heavy and portable. A little more horsepower motor would have been better than just 0.33 HP.
JET JWBS-14DXPRO Deluxe Pro Bandsaw: It works on a dual speed mechanism.There are bearings (up and down) which help in keeping the blade in position as well as add to the longevity of the blade. There is a small shelf for storage purposes. It has a feature of releasing tension in the blade in seconds so as to provide better functioning. In order to cut thicker pieces, it comes with an in-built 12 inches resawing withstand power. You can look through while the blade is involved in the process of cutting.
Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe Bandsaw
It is of size 14 inches. The fence attached to it comes in a T shape. The entire structure has ball bearings. It has an amazing two way tilting feature. You can tilt the table up to 45 degrees on the right while 10 degrees on the left. It can cut up to 13 – ½ inches. It encompasses a 4 inches dust port to remove the dust collected after cutting. It comes with a miter gauge to cut at angles. The blade measurement being 93 – ½ inches varying from ⅛ to ¾ inches.
- Cutting Capacity: 600 mm H x 550 mm W x 1250 mm L
- Table Size: 1250 x 900 mm
- Blade Measurements: 1.1 x 41 x 4860 mm
- Blade velocity: 5 to 300 meter per min
- Saw Motor power: up to 5 HP
- Table material: Metallic and sturdy
- Wheel’s Material: Cast Iron
- Warranty: minimum one year
- Slicing accuracy: 1 mm per meter
- Inclination: up to 45 degrees
The relationship of the saws is somewhat interdependent. If you want to handle a craft piece then you can use a scroll saw for the intricacies but then what would that do without the edges? Similarly, you can use the band saw for the edges, but what would the craftworks be without details? So, both go hand in hand. If you have both, you can make an amazing work of art. Keep in mind wood or any other material cutting is not a race, it does not have to be done with speed but with precision. The machines are at your service, it entirely depends on the service you need. Whether you want to make linear cuts or curves, or whether you want to cut thick or thin materials. Cutting in details or just the edges, whichever is your requirement the equipment will fulfill it.
Q: Does a scroll saw cut metals?
A: It depends, for instance WEN 3921 is not suitable to cut metals.
Q: Is one dust port enough for a bandsaw?
A: It works fine, but if you want you can manually create another one, in case of RICKON 10-305.
Q: Do all bandsaws come with a miter gauge and a stand?
A: No, all bandsaws do not come with them. For some you might have to order separately.
Q: Are bandsaws easy to carry?
A: The bandsaws are generally not that heavy. Their weight ranges around 70lbs. They are portable.
Q: What are the safety measures one needs to take before using these equipment?
A: Before switching them on, wear protection glasses to protect eyes from dust. Avoid wearing loose clothes and tie hair into a bun. Avoid wearing ties, rings and watches while being engrossed in cutting.
Q: What kind of objects can you cut using a Scroll saw?
A: A Scroll Saw can be used in cutting wood, copper or even plastic. It works good when detail cuts are required.